Thursday 1 July 2010

Promoted: Secretary to Bride

The above is the title of a bills and moon by an Orstralian author called Jennie Adams.

Is it me, or is that a really skewed perception of promotion?

As a general rule I'm quite fond of collecting outrageous M&B titles, like The Millionaire's Inexperienced Love Slave or A Thoroughly Compromised Lady. These are just silly. We all know such books are light and frothy and not meant to be taken seriously.

But I have to say the likes of Promoted: Secretary to Bride, and His Virgin Acquisition, make me slightly uncomfortable. They're just not far enough removed from the view that women should aspire to be in relationships where men control their lives. Which is vile.

Maybe I'm reading too much into it. But I can't help thinking that as "the self-confessed owner of an over-active imagination," Adams should try coming up with something a bit more original than "one day if I'm very lucky and very well behaved, a man might see fit to marry me."

No comments:

Post a Comment